Friday, 24 October 2014

Gold Hill, Shaftesbury, England

GOLD HILL, SHAFTESBURY, ENGLAND

I consider Gold Hill my first real painting. 

When I lived in Cardiff away back in 1978 several of us took advantage of a bank holiday weekend and headed to a friend's house near Cirencester on the edge of the Cotswolds where we were given a guided tour of that beautiful part of the world. Shaftesbury was more southerly however and we went there out of respect for the 'Boy on the Bicycle' 1973 television ad for Hovis my favourite commercial at that time. I wanted to walk up that hill humming the theme tune from Dvorak's Symphony No 9. However I'd no bicycle and no brass band and what words from the ad I forgot, I simply made up. If all this makes no sense, it'll all become a bit clearer when you watch the two YouTube clips below. Sorry about the quality of the first one below. It looks like it was recorded from a television with an early iPhone.


A few weeks earlier the Two Ronnies (Barker and Corbett) had spoofed it so my version was probably more like theirs! It was interesting to note the lack of ivy and other greenery climbing up the walls back in 1978. 



 I was already planning another few paintings from that mad weekend with the crazy hockey girls – my besties at the time. I remembered a scene from our day out in Lower Slaughter when Georgie and I just sat on a little wooden bench and soaked in the beauty of the cottages, the pond and the mill with its working waterwheel in front of us . And another either from the bridge at Castle Coomb or Arlington Row in picturesque Bibury! Two more places I now hold with deep affection.  

Best seen at this linkhttps://www.flickr.com/photos/tatchie/15794527496/in/dateposted/ 

No comments:

Post a Comment