Friday, 3 October 2014

Pastel pencils

COLIN BRADLEY'S YOUTUBE CHANNEL
Somewhere along the way I discovered pastel pencils. I am sure it was after I enrolled in Dawn Allen's Monday night Pastel Class at the Island Arts Centre. Several people were using them and as I'm a detail person I had to investigate their possibilities.

That meant a trip  to YouTube where I came across Colin Bradley's channel. I signed up on his website and received a course which I never followed through as I didn't want to be drawing a cute little kitten. Male macho patheticness – I know! I was quite surprised by how small Colin's paintings were. I had visions of working at around A3 size but as his were closer to A5 I needed to rethink.

I loved his website and I learned a lot from various videos and I'm grateful he give me a nod in the direction of Faber Castell Pitt Pastel pencils and as no-one else was likely to buy them for me they were a Christmas present to myself. Just in time too as I was just finishing off a painting of Gold Hill in Shaftesbury, England and the cobblestones were giving me huge problems. I had laid down too much soft pastel and was finding it nigh impossible to get the pastel pencil to define the cobbles. On Dawn's advice I took drastic measures, put on my yellow coat and safety helmet and ripped out every cobblestone with a stiff haired paintbrush so I could start again. Fun? Hell yeah!

MY 60 FABER CASTELL PITT PASTEL PENCIL SET

I did get it right second time around. See the next post. I used soft pastel for the ground base and then the pastel pencils to build upon that layer.

No comments:

Post a Comment