Friday, 9 September 2011

I've booked up for two art courses at the Island Arts Centre

So that’s it settled. I have finally signed up for two daytime art classes at the Island Arts Centre in Lisburn – it's just taken me about thirty five years.

It was harder to decide what I wanted to do than I had at first supposed. Oils & Acrylics, Painting for Pleasure, Pastel Painting, Introduction to Portraiture and Life Drawing were all considered and for one reason or another dismissed. There’ll always be another term anyway!

THE TWO COURSES I HAD HOPED TO TAKE
I decided on the Mixed Media Still Life as I liked the idea of experimental techniques and working towards a final exhibition in November at the Arts Centre. I need the tutor Betty Christie to stretch me artistically as it's been quite a while (over 30 years) since I've drawn so the discipline of setting time aside and working on my technique should be interesting. I've never painted before so I'm really out of my comfort zone but I'm looking forward to the challenge.

The Watercolours Course is me trying to see if I can recreate digital skills on paper and can I merge the two in some coherent way. Don't know who Chris Dearden is.


The day after I posted this I got a call from the Island Arts Centre saying the Mixed Media Still Life was cancelled as only three people had taken it up! What’s a guy to do? I'm now booked on a 12 week morning Painting for Pleasure course instead! Hmm, not exactly what I was hoping to do so rather disappointed.

*  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *
I lasted two weeks on the Watercolours Course.  Left before I thumped the tutor. His manners left a lot to be desired... I'll leave it at that!

And didn't bother with the  Painting for Pleasure for too long either. Very little direction or enthusiasm coming from the tutor. Life was such too that work was squeezing me too. It wasn't as easy getting away during working hours as I had imagined. Night classes?  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment